See 2012s cookie bake here! Two good friends and myself cram our Christmas cookie baking into one afternoon of fun and sugar highs. With three people we get a good mix of cookie varieties and we can mix, "ball", and man the oven very efficiently! With three years of extreme cookie baking under my belt I have some good tips for you to remember during your baking adventures.
- Don't forget the parchment paper! We made this mistake and some cookies want to stick with out that handy tool.
- Don't go cheap with the butter! One year we bought some cheap ass butter and it won't blend to our standards. Hate that.
- Set your butter out the night before your baking day. Most recipes call for room temperate butter and heating your butter up can make it too soft for your recipes.
- Make sure you check your recipes and have all your ingredients in house so you don't have to make an emergency grocery run! It's like that saying measure twice cut once, check your ingredients twice and make only one grocery run!
- Wear an apron. They're cute.
- Have plenty of mixing bowls. Some cookie doughs need to chill in the fridge before hittin' the oven so don't get behind by being short on bowls!
- Hand mixers. They are a life saver.
- Good storage containers or plenty of large baggies. Where do you plan on putting all these little yummies??
- Don't over bake. If the cookies are golden brown on the bottom they are done. I was asked how my cookies are all so soft and the simple key is to not over bake. Sorry no magic there.
- Lastly, cookies freeze well! We bake early before the craziness of the holiday season and freeze our cookies for closer to Christmas. Trust me. You can pull the cookies out the night before your party and they taste just as delicious as the day after baking. Sadly, no cookie tastes as good as when you JUST pull it out of the oven!
Our 2013 varieties are as follows (links to the recipe if available):
1. Ambrosia Macaroon // 2. Snickerdoodle // 3. Lemon Crinkle Cookies // 4. Pumpkin Chocolate Chip // 5. Peanut Butter Blossoms // 6. Red Velvet with Cream Cheese Swirl // 7. Raspberry Thumbprint // 8. Orange Creamsicle // 9. Peanut Butter Pretzel Truffles